False Charges against Paramahama Nithyananda - Nithyananda's Coronation as the 293rd pontiff of Madurai Aadheenam
FALSE CHARGES AGAINST PARAMAHAMSA NITHYANANDA
- On 2 March 2010, a morphed video linking Paramahamsa Nithyananda with actress Ranjitha was maliciously aired by Sun TV network. The video went viral over TV, print and internet media overnight. The issue became a pure trial by media long before the court of law took up the case.
- A Chennai devotee donated a certain land in Chennai to Swamiji, which was coveted by the Sun TV group to build a 5-star hotel. When they could not grab it, the round of malicious attacks started.
- Along with release of the morphed video, a false complaint was also registered against Paramahamsa Nithyananda on 4th March 2012 at the Chennai Egmore Police station by Lenin Karuppan – the key person and pawn of Sun TV group who created and distributed the morphed video.
- The complaint had charges against Paramahamsa Nithyananda of rape with no rape victim, hurting religious sentiments which was later dropped and criminal intimidation. The complainant claimed no personal grievance in any context.
- Yet, without any verification, the complaint got instantly converted to an FIR. The case was transferred within 2 days to the Karnataka CID. Paramahamsa Nithyananda who was in the Kumbha Mela religious festival in Haridwar at that time was arrested and kept in illegal imprisonment for 52 days.
- Nithyananda Dhyanapeetam sent the morphed video to four forensic science expert laboratories in the US for testing it along with the FSL reports produced at Hyderabad and Delhi in India which were included in the chargesheet. All four of them reported that the video is morphed.
Following is a summary of the Video Expert Analysis Reports from USA on the morphed video
DETAILS OF ANALYSTS
Edward Joe, 27+ years experience in audio and video forensic analysis court expert in USA, Registered Investigator (RI), Primeau Productions Inc.
- David Notowitz, Forensic Video Expert in USA , Los Angeles Superior Court Expert Witness, National Center for Audio and Video Forensics
- Joe Yonowitz, 58+ years experience in audio/video analysis in USA, Canada, Mexico, UK, Sri Lanka, Australia, Singapore, UAE; testified in state and Federal courts in civil, criminal and administrative matters throughout the USA as well as overseas
- Bryan Neumeister, Certified Federal, US District, State, Department of Justice, Civil & Aviation Forensic Expert, 31 Years Professional Experience, USA Forensic Audio & Video Labs
BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE FORENSIC ANALYSIS REPORTS
Video is grossly edited and altered.
- Since there is no audio, the video cannot be authenticated by forensic voice identification to help identifying the persons in the video.
- Video has composite layering. It includes scenes recorded at different times and blended together to appear to be real
- Unusual aspect ratio – 704 x 496 is further proof of alteration
- Although they claim it is a motion camera, when there is obvious motion happening, the camera stops abruptly proving it was edited or tampered with.
- The forensic analysts who have reported here are willing to testify in USA or India and answer any questions regarding this forensic investigation
- Video was allegedly taken December between 23 and 25, 2009 and it emerged to the public March 2, 2010. The chain of custody during this period is unknown. During this period, all kinds of digital manipulation may have been applied.
- The FSL reports don’t contain details of the actual analysis performed or the digital format of the file.
- The FSL reports have no actual scientific data in them whatsoever. They are mere inventory sheets of what was received and is more like a person’s best guess that the client and person on the video matched.
- No forensic tests were performed according to the report. It was the person's estimation that the person on the screen was the client and the recording was an original.
- There are duplicate clips in the video which is unexplained
- The number of reported files on DVD is inconsistent – 116 vs 341
- The purpose of re-examination of the video by DIG, CID, Bangalore is unclear
- Critical information such as model or serial number of the spy camera is missing
- Positive identification of persons in the video incorrect
- Video is Psychologically untenable considering the expression / emotions of the male in the video in the portrayed sexual act.
- The television in the background has a different refresh rate than the camera. Crystal sync or Clear Scan could be used to determine the difference of the camera vs the known refresh rate of the TV model. Thus helping to verify if the stated camera was indeed the one used.
- The FSL report may not be admissible in any U.S. court of law, or may not survive a Daubert reliability challenge.
- In March 2012, following the release of the morphed video, Sun TV network and Nakkheeran instigated paid goons who beat and broke the Shivalayas (Shiva temples) established by Paramahamsa Nithyananda all over Tamilnadu. They set fire to thatched roof buildings at the ashram in Bangalore and also publicly outraged the modesty of the many sannyasinis of the Nithyananda Order.
- The affected devotees attempted to lodge complaints in their local police stations but the police was not willing to register their complaint.
- In July 2011, after the current Hon’ble Chief Minister came to position in Tamilnadu, Nithyananda’s administrator Sri Nithya Atmaprabhananda filed a complaint against Saxena, former COO of Sun TV, his assistant Ayyapan, Tamil magazine publisher Nakkheeran Gopal, his editor Kamraj, key pawn of Sun TV and Nakkheeran group Lenin Karuppan, his brother Kumar, chief co-conspirators Arati Rao, Pasanna Kumar and lawyer Sridhar who created, morphed, distributed the morphed video and also blackmailed and grabbed money from Sri Nithya Atmaprabhananda. The case was finally registered and the Tamilnadu CBCID is now investigating it.
- Saxena, Ayyappan, Lenin Karuppan and Prasanna Kumar were arrested and they confessed to the criminal charges against them. Arati Rao is absconding in the USA. Lenin is still in custody while the others have been granted bail. Investigation continues.
- Devotees of Nithyananda have also filed complaints against Sun TV network with the Tamilnadu police for the vandalism instigated by them in the Nithyananda temples, ashrams and centers in March 2010.
NITHYANANDA’s CORONATION AS THE 293rd PONTIFF OF THE MOST ANCIENT HINDU ORGANSIATION MADURAI ADEENAM AND ITS AFTERMATH
- CORONATION OF NITHYANANDA AS 293rd PONTIFF: Recently, on 27 April 2012, Guru Maha Sannidhanam Srila Sri Arunagirinatha Sri Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya Swamigal, the 292nd pontiff of the most ancient Hindu organization Madurai Aadeenam, declared H. H. Paramahamsa Nithyananda as his successor at a press meet held in Nithyananda Dhyanapeetam’s international headquarters in Bidadi ashram, Bangalore and coronated the latter.
- Another coronation ceremony and press meet was duly held in the Madurai Adeenam on 29th April 2012.
- ELDER PONTIFF SPEAKS ON HIS CHOICE OF SUCCESSOR: The 292nd pontiff explained why he chose Paramahamsa Nithyananda as his legal and spiritual successor: “I was ardently praying to the Almighty since the past 8 years for a powerful, capable and enlightened leader to head the Madurai Aadeenam as its 293rd pontiff… it is the result of our penance, and our punya (spiritual merit) that Paramahamsa Nithyananda has been given to us… We are delighted to say that this is a gift we received in return for the sacred works accomplished by St. Tiru Gnanasambandhar,”
- Referring to the well-known healing powers of Paramahamsa Nithyananda, the 292nd pontiff recalled that the founder of Madurai Aadeenam St. Tiru Gnanasambandhar (one of the four visionary saints of Saiva Siddhanta philosophy), was also a renowned spiritual healer who healed the leprosy of the king Koon Pandian using sacred ash. Paramahamsa Nithyananda had recently healed the 292nd pontiff of his chronic wheezing trouble.
- He also declared, “Nithyananda is a rare orator who has delivered the timeless spiritual truths in English. Through him, the Saivite devotees worldwide will attain spiritual maturity and the ultimate enlightenment… after knowing him thoroughly, if I don’t appoint him as the Guru Mahasannidhanam, it will be a gross error in history itself.”
- The 292nd pontiff recalled the historical precedent of Sri Swaminarayan, the head of an independent spiritual organization, who had been coronated by Sri Ramananda as the head of the Uddhava Sampradaya.
- NITHYANANDA’s PROMISE TO THE MADURAI ADEENAM: Accepting the responsibility as the 293rd pontiff of Madurai Aadeenam, Paramahamsa Nithyananda pledged to bring great international fame to Madurai Aadeenam and the four temples belonging to it. He declared:
Seeking the blessings of Meenakshi and Sundareshwara, Paramahamsa Nithyananda vowed to expand the spiritual services of the Aadeenam which are already renowned in southern India into internationally acclaimed services.
FALSE ISSUE ON COMMUNITY RAISED: According to the tradition of the Madurai Aadeenam, only hereditary Saiva Vellalars are selected as the pontiffs of this ancient Madurai Adeenam. Paramahamsa Nithyananda is from that very community.
But several baseless issues have been raised by anti-spiritual elements saying that Paramahamsa Nithyananda did not belong to the Saiva Vellalar community. In response to this, Paramahamsa Nithyananda invited to the stage the elders of the Saiva Vellalar community from his home town Tiruvannamalai, who could vouch for the fact that Paramahamsa Nithyananda was indeed born into the said community. A community certificate was also produced confirming the same.
FALSE REPORTS ABOUT ‘IT’ DEPARTMENT ENQUIRIES AT THE ADEENAM: In line with Hindu tradition in this context, H. H. Paramahamsa Nithyananda made an offering of Rs. 5 crore towards Madurai Aadeenam’s spiritual activities. On the occasion of Chitra Pournami on 5th May this year, Paramahamsa Nithyananda offered a golden throne, sandals and ruling staff to the 292nd pontiff pontiff at a ceremony in Tiruvannamalai. On 5th June, as part of the Tiru Gnanadambandhar Guru Pooja festival in Madurai, he declared that a kanakabhishekam (tradition of showering of gold coins) will also be offered to the 292nd pontiff.
The Central Government’s IT department visited the Madurai Adeenam to enquire about the offerings made by Paramahamsa Nithyananda. This visit was highlighted by Sun TV network as an IT raid at the Madurai Adeenam!
This kind of continuous trial by media has been the order of the day for the past two years in the life of Paramahamsa Nithyananda, spreading completely wrong opinions amidst the innocent public.
The Madurai Adeenam merely clarified to the IT officials that the Rs.5 crore amount will be transferred to the Madurai Aadeenam Trust account shortly. While the Trust has already been registered, Form 80G and other relevant documents are awaited before transferring the amount. The golden throne offered on the occasion is only a symbolic mark of respect to the 292nd pontiff. The throne itself is made from wood and copper sheet, covered with gold paint.
Some media reports mentioned that cash and incriminating documents were seized from the venue. This is false information and no cash or incriminating documents were seized.
WELL WISHES FROM SEVERAL PROMINENT QUARTERS: Several prominent spiritual heads, including H.H. Sri Sri Ravishankar, former VHP international President Sri Ashok Singhal, the representative of Mata Amritanandamayi, the national head of the Saiva Vellalar community and close to 40 others personally congratulated and offered their support to Paramahamsa Nithyananda on his ascension to the throne.
TROUBLE FROM ANTI-SOCIAL ANTI-SPIRITUAL ELEMENTS: But certain rowdies are using a few so called Hindu groups and instigating some of the maths to cause trouble to the appointment of Paramahamsa Nithyananda.
As a result, small groups seeking cheap publicity like Arjun Sampath - Hindu Makkal Katchi, Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam etc are continuously appearing in media and giving utterly false and derogatory statements about Paramahamsa Nithyananda and the elder pontiff.
Arjun Sampath, so called leader of the Hindu Makkal Katchi - is an anti social and anti spiritual element paid by Sun TV to run campaigns desired by them. He is a betrayer of the Hindu tradition, who will do anything for money. He approached Nithyananda Dhyanapeetam a few years ago and grabbed money in the name of Hinduism but used it for his own anti spiritual activities.
- “The kumbabhishekam (consecration ceremony) of the four temples in Tanjore belonging to the Madurai Adeenam would be performed by the end of this year.
- Anna daanam (free food) distribution to all visitors at the Meenakshi Temple and Madurai adeenam will commence immediately.
- There will be upcoming projects of educational services such as schools and colleges in 100 places in rural areas.”
Ever since March 2010, Arjun Sampath has been running anti-Nithyananda campaigns like burning his effigy, offering tarpanam to him in Rameshwaram, stating that he is not an enlightened saint at all, printing larger than life size wedding invitations with Paramahamsa Nithyananda and actress Ranjitha’s name on it and demonstrating with it on the road and much more.
He is now shouting that the Government must take over the Madurai Adeenam and arrest Paramahamsa Nithyananda. He has also said that on June 5th, during the Tirujnanasambandar Guru Puja festival, the anniversary of the Saint Tirujnanasambandar being fed the nectarine milk by Goddess Parvati herself, when Paramahamsa Nithyananda has declared he will be offering kanakabhishekam to the 292nd pontiff, he and his people will be doing a stay-in protest at the Madurai Adeenam. All of Arjun Sampath’s funded anti-Nithyananda campaigns are covered exclusively by Sun TV and telecast close to thirty times a day putting public in utter confusion and chaos.
On 15 May 2012, Sun TV, continuously aired highly defamatory clips against the women devotees staying in the Aadeenam. One Muthuraj of a certain Makkal Munnetra Katchi was repeatedly shown on Sun TV declaring that over a hundred scantily clad women are staying inside the Aadeenam in an environment of seduction and prostitution. Hundreds of women devotees are serving the public at Madurai Aadeenam, assisting in the cleaning and renovation of the Aadeenam, and cooking for the recently launched daily anna daan (free meal) scheme. They have voiced their outrage against these abusive statements about them at a press meet hosted by Madurai Aadeenam in Madurai.
They have demanded that Sun TV be closed down for its demeaning remarks against the women who had arrived there for serving the people. The 100-strong group of women devotees have approached the Madurai District Collector and filed a complaint against Muthuraj and Sun TV. Appropriate action is expected to be taken.
In a minor show of protest, some individuals had gathered together under the name of ‘Madurai Aadeenam Retrieval Committee’ to raise slogans against the coronation of Nithyananda urging the State Government to take over the Madurai Adeenam through the HR and CE board.
In a related incident, a leader of the ‘Madurai Adeenam retrieval committee, Nellai Kannan had invited the wrath of transgender groups by saying that Paramahamsa Nithyananda appears to be a transgender individual and therefore unfit to handle the administration of Madurai Aadeenam. In an earlier press meet, Paramahamsa Nithyananda had stated that as an enlightened being, he was established in a non-dual state beyond body consciousness. This statement was twisted by Nellai Kannan to imply that he was a transgender individual and therefore of no social consequence. On 14th may, during a press meet, the President of Bharati Kannamma Charitable Trust for Welfare and Upliftment of Transgender individuals, Bharati Kannamma alias Azhaguraj lashed out against Nellai Kannan for targeting marginalized communities and questioning their constitutional rights. It is to be noted that Nellai Kannan had visited the Adeenam just a few days ago, interacted with the people on a friendly note, and later appeared on television with these derogatory statements.
Nithyananda responded to the group’s attack by saying that over 40 groups, including Akhila Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha, Vishwa Hindu Parishad and others, have joined hands under the name ‘Madurai Aadeenam Protection Force’ to counter these malicious attacks.
OPPOSITION AS WELL AS ROLLBACKS FROM A FEW MATHS: Further, unable to tolerate the expansion of the Madurai adeenam into an international organization as publicly promised by Nithyananda, the Dharmapura adeenam, the Tiruppanandal adeenam and a few other adeenams are spearheading the operation where pontiffs of 13 adeenams have been coerced into signing a resolution against Paramahamsa Niithyananda seeking his removal from the peeta, declaring that the appointment has not happened in accordance with the Saivaite tradition and asking the Tamilnadu State Government to take over the adeenam.
As per the Madurai Adeenam’s tradition, rules and regulations, the 292nd pontiff has solomnized Visesha Dheetcha, Manthra Kaashaayam, Nirvaana Dheetcha and Aacharya Abishegam to Paramahamsa Nithyananda, and only then announced him as his successor.
Paramahamsa Nithyananda made several attempts to meet with and offer an explanation to the protesting traditional math heads, but unfortunately they refused an opportunity for explanation even over the phone. Paramahamsa Nithyananda then humbly requested the math heads to kindly withdraw their resolution, failing which his followers worldwide who have been deeply affected by these baseless allegations would be left with no choice but to initiate legal action against them. Within 10 days, 8 of them withdrew confessing that they were coerced into signing it.
As a latest development, Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal of the Kanchi Mutt has made a statement to the national media that Paramahamsa Nithyananda is not fit to be a Swami as he has not tonsured his head as per the Saivaite tradition and has gone on record to state that actress Ranjitha is insistent that she will stay with Paramahamsa Nithyananda and is continuing to stay with him at all times. Unfortunately, actress Ranjita has filed a criminal defamation case against the Kanchi Shankaracharya Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal Swamigal at the Egmore Magistrate Court appealing for appropriate action.
VICTORY IN LEGAL BATTLES: Further, a habeas corpus petition HCP (MD) No. 570/2002 had been filed on 2nd May by T.Gurusamy Desikar , Manager of Dharmapura Aathinam claiming that the 292nd Guru Maha Sannidhanam Srila Sri Arunagirinatha Sri Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya Swamigal of Madurai Aadeenam was in the illegal custody and under the control of Paramahamsa Nithyananda. The Hon’ble Court found the petition not maintainable as the 292nd Guru Maha Sannidhanam is not under the control of anybody, is carrying on his regular administrative duties, is meeting the public and even held a press meet on 2nd May this year, as was clear from the former’s affidavit countering the petition filed the following day. The HC dismissed the petition, further acknowledging the right of the 292nd Guru Maha Sannidhanam to appoint his successor as his affidavit stated that he is fully eligible, empowered and competent to manage or appoint any successor of Madurai Aadeenam.
Another writ petition (WP (MD) 6607 /2012 dt. 3/5/2012) was filed by one T. Solaikannan who claimed to be the Madurai District President of Hindu Makkal Katchi. Alleging that the 292nd Guru Maha Sannidhanam is under the control of Paramahamsa Nithyananda and his disciples, the petitioner sought to annul the coronation of Paramahamsa Nithyananda and demanded that the State Government take over Madurai Aadeenam. In the open Court, the Hon’ble Judge clearly stated that the 292nd Guru Maha Sannidhanam has the authority to nominate his successor. The HC rapped the petitioners saying that this whole case was a ploy to get media publicity and they are not even qualified to be called the aggrieved in the case. The HC also demanded that the petitioner provide proof of his own identity as President of such a Party. The HC further reprimanded the petitioner for abusing the legal process by not filing the written affidavits from all the other parties whom the petitioner had claimed were supporting this petition. Finding the petition non-maintainable, the HC dismissed the petition forthwith.
While Nithyananda continues to win the legal battles, it is the humble request of the devotees of Nithyananda that these antisocial and antispiritual elements are arrested immediately.
FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS FROM ELDER PONTIFF: Responding to questions from the media, the 292nd pontiff clearly declared that the rumors and opposition circulating about Paramahamsa Nithyananda were a result of jealousy, ignorance and lack of understanding about him. “Nithyananda is a sage and a saint!” He also lashed out against the idea of legal interference in this purely religious matter. He said, “It is absolutely the inner affairs of the math. Actually you are violating the fundamental rights of the Aadeenam. The decision to choose a certain person as the future peethadhipati (pontiff) is… absolutely in the hands of the Almighty Lord Shiva… this is the truth. This highest post of Guru Maha Sannidhanam comes through poorva punya (spiritual merit earned in earlier lives). He is not appointed... through the Employment Office.”
NITHYANANDA’s FOLLOWERS PROTEST: Nithyananda Dhyanapeetam’s followers also announced that they entering into an indefinite hunger protest in front of the Dharmapuram Aadeenam starting 6th May. One lakh devotees will also present petitions signed in blood to the Tamil Nadu Government, requesting permission to file a complaint under Section 295A of the Indian Penal Code against the math heads for this gross disregard of their religious sentiments.
SERVICE TO HUMANITY CONTINUES: Amidst all the fire-fighting, Nithyananda addressed a 2-day online Vedic Conference to a global audience on Vedic tradition, history and science of Madurai Aadeenam, the world’s most ancient living Hindu organization. He continues to accept the everyday morning pada puja and deliver his daily morning satsang (talk) keenly watched by followers from 130 countries through the internet.