Weight gain and obesity are ballooning out of control around the world. With obesity on the rise in all age groups and the accompanying chronic illnesses of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and osteoarthritis 1 (WHO) and depression due to low self esteem, people are spending billions of dollars on obesity and related disease. In the US alone 12% of the national health care budget is spent treating obesity. 2(CNNMONEY) Yet the number of overweight people continues to rise. According to the World Health Organization, worldwide obesity has more than doubled since 1980.
- In 2008, 1.5 billion adults, 20 and older, were overweight. Of these over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were obese.
- 65% of the world's population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
- Nearly 43 million children under the age of five were overweight in 2010.
- Obesity is preventable
- Do not put food in the body unless you feel hunger and thirst in the throat.
- Look within when you think you are hungry. Is the signal coming from the stomach or the throat? If you are feeling hunger or thirst from the throat, the body is asking for energy because the energy center is in the throat. If the feeling is coming from the stomach, the stomach wants junk food.
- When you decide to put food into your mouth, chew it well, with awareness, 32 times.